Top general accuses Prince Harry of turning his back on Royal Marines after quitting military role in Megxit deal


A TOP general has accused Prince Harry of turning his back on the Royal Marines after quitting his military role as part of the Megxit deal.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit as senior royals earlier this year – and Harry gave up his honorary role as Captain General of the Marines as part of the bargain.

⚠️ Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple

Prince Harry did two tours of Afghanistan but quit his honorary role

3

Prince Harry did two tours of Afghanistan but quit his honorary roleCredit: Getty – Contributor
Major General Julian Thompson said it was 'wrong' for Prince Harry to not carry out his military duties

3

Major General Julian Thompson said it was ‘wrong’ for Prince Harry to not carry out his military dutiesCredit: PA:Press Association
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepped down as senior royals earlier this year

3

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepped down as senior royals earlier this yearCredit: PA:Press Association

The post has been left vacant in hopes the 36-year-old would resume his ceremonial duties after a 12-month review of the deal.

However, sources have told the Mail on Sunday that Harry has not been in touch by phone, letter nor email since his last appearance in March.

Major General Julian Thompson, who led 3 Commando Brigade during the 1982 Falklands War, said Harry needs to take the job seriously and be as “accessible as his grandfather was”.

He told the Mail on Sunday last night: “I’m not trying to give him a lecture, but he has to take the job seriously and not just say, ‘Well, I’m still the Captain General and I’m going to live in Los Angeles and never visit the UK.’

“It’s wrong. You can’t do that. He is expected to attend events and be around and be as accessible as his grandfather was.”

Harry, who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan in the Army alongside Marines, was given the role by the Queen in 2017.

He succeeded the Duke of Edinburgh who had held the post for 64 years.

Lord Dannatt, a former Chief of the General Staff, has also said Prince Harry has failed to reply to a personal letter he wrote the royal.

Lord Dannatt confirmed he had not received a reply to his note.

Prince Harry has continued his work with the Invictus Games initiative that he set up to support wounded, injured and sick armed forces personnel.

The Sun Online contacted Prince Harry’s representatives and the Ministry of Defence for comment.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *